Saturday, February 7, 2009

Arts Benicia Show Opening

Went to the opening of The Art of a Community exhibit at Arts Benicia tonight. I was so happy to have found this arts organization in my somewhat nearby neighborhood. Although I live in Vallejo, I find myself on First St. in Benicia far more often that any downtown Vallejo street. 
I spent an hour or so looking at the work of 180 different artists. I was pleasantly surprised by the vast range of mediums. Being especially into book arts right now, and as always, anything precious and delicate, I was drawn to this altered book by Karen Hatzigeorgiou.  While butterflies are not my favorite motif, the all white frames of these paper insects cast shadows on the book. They leap off the page only to be suspended, unmoving, yet flickering in the light. I like how the forms create other shapes, constantly changing and shifting in its environment. To be honest, there were so many people, I didn't get a very close or intimate look at any one piece, but I was happy to have spent my night there.  The show will be up through most of March, and I will like to see it again, without the buzzing crowd.

No comments: