Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Halloween Tradition

Tonight was my annual trip to Alameda's Gaslight Emporium for their grand Halloween opening. My mom, my Aunt Liza and I had dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Acapulco, then ventured down Lincoln to the Halloween hot spot. The space is Victorian for sure, with dark carved wood, traditional wallpaper, and unusual antiques and oddities. This shop stocks vintage and vintage reproduction seasonal items, from paper goods to toys and even period costumes during Halloween. Don't be surprised to find a room full of Alice in Wonderland curiosities or vintage holiday items at certain times of the year.

One room was more ghoulish and ghastly, with grotesque animals, ghosts, severed body parts displayed in an old fridge, not to mention a buffet of hauntingly delightful treats!

The other room, more bright and warm, housed vintage inspired paper goods. From pumpkin figures to vintage trims and tinsels, there was a feast of Halloween and Harvest eye candy from floor to ceiling

I loved this little moon faced man, and bought him a month ago at their yard sale for my Mom's birthday. His twin was still there waiting to be taken home. Visiting the Gaslight Emporium is one of my favorite traditions, one I hope to continue for many years to come.

2 comments:

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

looks like a fun place!

Courtney Cerruti said...

Its a great shop! They even have an old fashion candy store two doors down.